Pages

Sunday 3 November 2013

An Accidental Banana Chiffon Cupcake


Singapore is a very warm and humid place that when I buy bananas they would often go ripe after a day or two left on the table. In order to waste not, want not, I freeze the over ripe ones until the day I need them.

Hence this post. It was my sister's boyfriend birthday and I decided to bake him banana cupcakes. I was looking for a moist and easy banana cake recipe and found this. Unfortunately, my cupcakes didn't turn out like that of the pictures by the author of the blog. Being me, I was preparing the batter absentmindedly.  I was almost done when I realized that I totally forgot to cream the butter and sugar! Plus I added my egg yolks to all of my beaten to perfect soft peak egg whites. Sigh! I didn't want to throw them and start a new one so I told myself to just finish it up and charge it to experience.

The result? Cake domed because my oven was too hot at the start (I was so worried about my butter blunder that I didn't realize oven temp was already at 180-190 degrees C. Next, it definitely tasted very much like a real banana cake. I didn't use any other flavouring to make it more organic. Lastly, although I had problems in preparing and baking the cupcakes, they still had the texture of a chiffon cake. It was so light and airy. I would definitely try this again next time.

Enjoy birthday boy!



Banana Chiffon Cupcake
recipe from Annielicious Food
  • 250g Plain Flour
  • 1tsp Baking Powder
  • 1tsp Baking Soda
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • 6 Small Bananas, mashed, and it should weight about 240g
  • 1 tbsp Lemon Juice (Optional)
  • 180g Unsalted Butter
  • 100g Castor Sugar
  • 4 Egg Yolk
  • 40g Brown Sugar
  • 4 Egg Whites
  • 40g Castor Sugar
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven 175 degrees Celsius. Line 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake papers. 
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, sieve, set aside.
  3. Combine banana and lemon juice, mash, set aside.
  4. Separate egg whites and yolk. In a clean and dry bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 40g castor sugar and beat until stiff peak.
  5. Beat soft butter, castor sugar and brown sugar on high speed until light and fluffy.
  6. Add in egg yolk one at a time, mix till combined.
  7. Add in mashed bananas, vanilla essence and fresh milk, mix well.
  8. Mix half flour mixture on low speed until incorporated, and another half, mix until just smooth. Don't over mix it.
  9. Put in half the egg whites in and mix on low speed. Pour the balance egg white in and FOLD using your spatula.
  10. Pour batter into pan and level. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.


                  No comments:

                  Post a Comment