Pages

Saturday 14 December 2013

Nama Chocolate aka Royce' Chocolate


Christmas season is a joyous event back home. There are reunions, Christmas parties, gift giving and abundance of really good food. But the prelude to parties and reunions are also one of the moments in my life that are truly exhausting. 

You see, when I was single I used to put a lot of time in thinking for the best present to give to my loved ones. I would roam malls, shops or any place I could think of where I can buy just about anything. And I would end up with a not so brilliant idea of a gift. Not that they aren't nice. It's just that shopping ain't for me and at the end of the day it takes a toll on my mind and body. I feel pain on my feet, head ache from scouring shops and trying to spark my brain for ideas that I would really end up just picking out the next best thing I could think of or get a hand on. This happens every holiday season. And it is an exhausting exercise for me because I am not a shopper. I only shop when there is a need. I go to malls when there is a need. And that''s it. 

Now that I have a family of my own, I find that the most delightful feeling you would really get is when you organize your thoughts before going on a shopping spree. The thought of putting time in planning and buying something for that somebody is really worth all the effort (though I still find myself into doing the old way of shopping from time time.. sigh). 

But the really best feeling is when you make something special for your loved ones. Best idea ever.  This nama chocolate is one of those special gifts that I find is worth giving to people who are choco-holic. It's actually the same thing as the French chocolate truffles albeit they are blocks instead of balls. And the really noteworthy thing about this: these square chocolates were made popular by Royce'! Yes, you can now indulge in this creamy and luxurious chocolate without having to dig deep in your pocket. 

Nama chocolate is so easy to make but it needs all the thought and care in the world when buying the ingredients and in making them since chocolate tempering is a delicate process. (P.S. I followed the ingredients to a T, but prepared and made it differently). So simple yet so special.




Nama Chocolate
recipe from Justonecookbook
  • 400 gram (14 oz) good quality dark chocolate (70% cacao), but you can also use semisweet for less bitter taste.
  • 200 ml fresh cream (heavy whipping cream)
  • Liqueur of your choice (optional, I just used plain vanilla extract so that it's Toddler friendly)
  • Cocoa powder to coat the chocolate
Instructions
  1. Prior to making this, please read carefully the notes from Justonecookbook and the link from her site
  2. Chop the chocolate into blocks.
  3. Line any shallow square or rectangle baking pan with parchment paper. Choosing the right size tray is important as the height of chocolate is decided depending on how much you pour.
  4. Melt chocolates using a double broiler method. Again, be mindful of not to burn your chocolates. Read this once again. Once all chocolates have melted, pour cream and mix until completely combined. 
  5. Add liqueur of your choice.
  6. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan or tray. Smooth the surface and refrigerate until firm.
  7. Sprinkle the cocoa powder over the block of chocolate. Then remove the chocolate from the baking pan and cut it into cubes using a warm knife. Make sure to warm the knife after each cutting to prevent splintering. You can use hot running water but wipe it off completely before each cut.
  8. Serve it chilled. You can keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment