Pages

Tuesday 27 August 2013

Danish Shortbread or Butter Cookies Take 2

After this, I told myself I'd settle for the tin canned biscuits for the time being. But I never did get to buy one because I found this recipe which got a lot of thumbs ups and I was itching to try it.

So last Friday, Toddler woke up earlier than usual and since I was done with my to-do list for the day, we made Danish shortbread or butter cookies. And since Husband was at work this was another one of those Mom and Kid thing moment.


I chose this recipe because it was really so easy to follow. No experience was needed. No creaming, no chilling, none of the usual complicated instructions that makes baking a little overwhelming to a novice baker like me, who happens to have a restless Toddler stuck to her legs and wants to play all the time. Anyway, so it's dump all ingredients, mix, pipe, and bake and voila! In 30 mins time you're done. It was such a no frill baking procedure that I wasn't even anxious at all with piping the dough when it was my first time to pipe anything at all! Just make sure though to read and digest all tips regarding the recipe instructions before making one to ensure a successful baking experience.

The cookies we baked were delicious. Compared to my first try which was bland, this has that real buttery flavour enhanced with the vanilla extract. And to top it all not overly sweet. Though texture wise, as per Husband was not that crumbly moist like the original Danish ones. Almost there but not quite yet. It probably was because I toasted the cookies a little longer than required.

I'd say this recipe is a keeper. Because of this, we know have a container full of delicious butter cookies. And I intend to make more if it comes empty again.

It was a perfect easy baking time with just me and Toddler. He makes baking so much fun! He always wants to do the things that he sees me do. From mixing the dough, to pressing the piping bag ("Mom it's so tiring!") He even copied me when I was cleaning up the ends of the cookies because suddenly he pressed on ALL the ends of the cookies! Ah love him to bits. I hope that when he grows up he'd remember these moments because it's deeply engraved in mine.

Danish Shortbread or Butter Cookies
recipe by Natzmetz
  • 1 egg (60g)
  • 200g butter
  • 130g icing sugar
  • 320g flour
  • 2 tbsp of vanilla paste (appro. 30g)
Instructions
  1. Place everything in a mixing bowl and mix evenly using a paddle attachment on the lowest speed possible. You can mix it all by hand as well with a wooden spoon.
  2. Pipe wreaths onto greased cookie sheet or baking tray using an open star tip. I used a smaller tip than what the video instructed.
  3. Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 7-8 min
  4. Leave to cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.
  5. Transfer cookies into airtight container after cookies are at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment